CooperVision has released Biofinity Multifocal contact lenses in June 2011. These lenses are a combination of the comfilcon material that is found in Biofinity and Biofinity Toric as well as the Balanced Progressive Technology design that is found in CooperVision's Proclear Multifocal lenses.
It's a 3rd generation silicone material with high oxygen permeability, but high water content and low modulus. This material has been able to break the relationship between the three: Prior to Biofinity Multifocal a higher oxygen permeability meant a lower % of water content, or the higher the oxygen permeability the stiffer the material. There are some differences between these lenses and Proclear Multifocal, but the design is very similar.
CooperVision is offering a D lens and a N lens version, D for the dominant eye, N for the non dominant eye which promises to simplify the fitting process for doctors. Both lenses provide excellent vision - at reading, far and intermediate distance.
Features and Benefits
- Aquaform Technology gives the lens material strong hydrophilic properties increasing wearing comfort and minimizing deposits.
- High oxygen transmissibility will allow your eyes to breath and stay healthy.
Who should wear them?
- Presbyopic patients who experience discomfort due to dryness when wearing contact lenses and are therefor looking for outstanding 24-hour comfort.
- People who are looking for breathable monthly lenses for healthy and extended overnight wear.
- People that want to sleep with their lenses in.
- People that reach their 40s and have difficulties reading small print can keep everything in focus - close up, far away, and in-between
What else should you know about these lenses?
- The standard diameter is 14.0 mm.
- The base curve is 8.6 mm.
- Available sphere powers range from +6.00D to -8.00D (in 0.50D increments after -6.00D).
- Available ADD powers are +1.00, +1.50, +2.00 and +2.50.
- Biofinity Multifocal are disposable soft contact lenses. They come with a D lens (dominant) or a N lens (non-dominant) design.
- The replacement schedule is 4 weeks based on daily wear with up to 6 nights / 7 days extended wear.
Material and other Technical Parameters
- Made of a a 52% silicon hydrogel material (Comfilcon A) with 48% water content, the non-edge corrected Dk/t value is 138.
- The non-edge corrected Dk value is 128.
- The center thickness is 0.08 mm at -3.00D.
- 1 box contains 6 visibly tinted lenses. Each contact lens is shipped sterile in a blister pack containing a saline solution.
- Coopervision Inc.
- Biofinity Multifocal was introduced in June 2011.
- The following products are competing with them: Acuvue Oasys for Presbyopia, Frequency 55 Multifocal, Proclear Multifocal .
- Common naming variations and misspellingsinclude Biofiniti Multifocal and Biofinnity multifocal.