ACUVUE OASYS® vs. ACUVUE VITA®
With ACUVUE OASYS® (introduced in 2005) and ACUVUE VITA® (introduced in 2016), we are comparing 2 popular non-daily-replaceable contact lenses from Johnson & Johnson Vision Care, Inc.
What's the Same?
Before we dive into differences, let's quickly look at the features the ACUVUE OASYS® and the ACUVUE VITA® share.
ACUVUE OASYS® and ACUVUE VITA® are silicone hydrogel based contact lenses using a material called Senofilcon. This material is capable of letting a high level of oxygen through to the eye, which helps your eyes feel fresh even at the end of the day. The Oxygen Transmissibility parameter (also called Dk/t parameter) is identical for both lenses and with 147 Dk/t as high as other newer silicone hydrogel lenses in the market.
The FDA classifies lenses into Class 1 and Class 2 lenses, based on their ability to block a certain level of harmful UVA and UVB rays. Both lenses are classified as Class 1 lenses, which means they are able to filter out more than 99% of UVB light and more than 90% of UVB light.
Tinting and Inside-out Mark
No difference here. ACUVUE OASYS® and ACUVUE VITA® are slightly blue-tinted contact lenses that don’t change the natural color of your eyes but help you to see them in the blister package or your small lens case. And, both lenses have a 1-2-3 mark printed on the side of the lens to indicate whether the lens is turned inside out.
With an identical diopter range, patients are covered if their prescription is between -12.00D and +8.00D.
While OASYS must be replaced every 2 weeks, VITA can be enjoyed up to a month before it needs to be tossed. This comes as a surprise, as the base material is the same, except for VITA using a newer version of Senofilcon. While this might be the main difference it also uses a different hydration technology called HydraMax while OASYS is using a Polyvinylpyrrolidone (PVP) based wetting agent as part of the HYDRACLEAR® PLUS technology.
Let's have a quick look at the 2 product families. You'll notice that OASYS is currently available for all 3 major vision correction types. VITA doesn't offer a version for Presbyopia, so if you are looking for a multi-focal lens, you are out of luck with the VITA.
Replacement Schedule and Modality
ACUVUE OASYS® is a bi-weekly replaceable lens, so you typically buy a box of 6 or 12 lenses per eye and you are covered for a 3 month period or half a year. With ACUVUE VITA® you are looking at a monthly replaceable lens, so your lenses last for an entire month. Different than with daily lenses, you also need to purchase the appropriate cleaning solution and getting used to a rigid cleaning routine. Not everyone's favorite thing to do.
Packaging and Pricing
ACUVUE OASYS® and ACUVUE VITA® can be purchased in various box-sizes, containing 6,12 or 24 lenses. Assuming that you will have a different prescription for each eye, you would typically buy multiples of 2 boxes, and hence would be covered for 3 months, 6 months or a full year. It is worth to check volume discounts, especially when buying online, as prices can vary upon ordering multiple boxes or when signing up for ‘auto-refill’. Our spec sheet is also providing a ‘daily cost’ calculation and the price difference (while not huge) is a bit in favor of ACUVUE VITA®.
ACUVUE OASYS® vs. ACUVUE VITA®: Specs Compared
Bottom line: Which Lens Should You Get?
First of all, check with your eye care practitioner. Only she/he will be able to determine whether any of these lenses are right for you. And in case both are:
Consider ACUVUE OASYS® if you are looking for a proven lens with HYDRACLEAR technology and prefer a fresh pair every 2 weeks.
Get ACUVUE VITA® if you want to save a few bucks and want the latest Senofilcon material. On average you will save about 5 cents per day and eye, which adds up to about $35 in savings per year.
Have your tried both lenses? We would love to hear from you.
More about this Product
- ACUVUE OASYS® - Overview and Parameters
- ACUVUE OASYS® - Reviews and Ratings
- ACUVUE OASYS® - Rebate Info
- ACUVUE OASYS® - Lens Caring Tips
- ACUVUE OASYS® - Instructions and Precautions
- How to handle your ACUVUE OASYS® lenses
- Contact Lens Solutions for ACUVUE OASYS®
- ACUVUE OASYS® With HYDRACLEAR Plus Receives FDA Approval For Extended Wear
- ACUVUE® ADVANCE and ACUVUE OASYS® Brands awarded with Global Seal Of Acceptance for UV Absorbing Contact Lenses
- ACUVUE OASYS® Approved as Bandage Contact Lens
- Where to buy ACUVUE OASYS®
- ACUVUE OASYS® UVA and UVB protection
- ACUVUE OASYS® - A YouTube Review
- Contact Lens Rebates 2019
Lens Advisor and Comparisons
- ACUVUE OASYS® vs 1-DAY ACUVUE® MOIST - a Comparison
- The Best Daily Contact Lenses in 2019
- ACUVUE OASYS® vs. Bausch + Lomb ULTRA
- Lens Advisor
- Daily Cost Comparison of Contact Lenses
- ACUVUE OASYS® vs. ACUVUE® 2
- Daily Cost Comparison of Multifocal Lenses
- ACUVUE OASYS® vs. Avaira Vitality
- Daily Cost Comparison of Lenses for Astigmatism
- ACUVUE OASYS® vs. Air Optix Night & Day
- ACUVUE OASYS® vs. Proclear
- ACUVUE OASYS® vs. Biofinity Energys
- ACUVUE OASYS® vs. 1-DAY ACUVUE® TruEye®
- ACUVUE OASYS® vs. DAILIES TOTAL1