- CORAL SPRINGS, Fla.—Three optometry students who presented scientific posters will be recognized during the 2021 Global Specialty Lens Symposium virtual conference as winners of the 6th Annual Optometry Student Challenge, a program designed by ABB Optical Group, in collaboration with Paragon Vision Sciences, to foster the study of contact lenses.
- NEW YORK—The American Optometric Association (AOA) has squared off against another eyecare industry organization—the National Association of Optometrists and Opticians (NAOO)—in a dispute in which the AOA calls into question whether the NAOO “can claim to be a representative organization of doctors.” The AOA’s complaint stems from the divergent views each group apparently took on an AOA-supported Contact Lens Rule Modernization Act.
CooperVision Specialty EyeCare Plans Upgrades and Expansion at Manufacturing Facilities in Arizona and QuebecSAN RAMON, Calif.—CooperVision Specialty EyeCare said this week that it plans to make investments in its Gilbert, Ariz., and Sherbrooke, Quebec, manufacturing facilities. The moves are in response to the growing adoption of the company’s specialty contact lenses by eyecare professionals, the announcement noted. The Gilbert site—in suburban Phoenix—currently produces Paragon CRT contact lenses and materials. The group’s ambitious expansion plans will grow the facility to more than 45,000 square feet by 2025, with a refurbished shipping and warehouse center, and a substantially larger specialty lens manufacturing floor.
- WASHINGTON—The Health Care Alliance for Patient Safety (APS) said late Monday that Congress has taken action “to delay the implementation, effective date and enforcement of the Federal Trade Commission’s (FTC) updated Contact Lens Rule until March 31, 2021.”
Safilens Turns 20 and Continues Growing as R&D and Innovation Position Italian Firm Among Leading Contact Lens CompaniesSTARANZANO, Italy—Safilens, a contact lens company based here, noted in a recent announcement that it is celebrating its 20th anniversary.
CooperVision Sites on Six Continents Contribute to Optometry Giving Sight’s 2020 World Sight Day ChallengeSAN RAMON, CALIF.—Despite facing countless obstacles brought about by the COVID-19 pandemic, CooperVision employees rallied to raise funds for Optometry Giving Sight’s World Sight Day Challenge.
- SAN RAMON, Calif.—The largest-ever retrospective study of its kind has found very low complication rates in children who wear soft contact lenses, similar to rates in adults. The newly published outcomes offer eyecare professionals valuable real-world information to better counsel parents and caregivers as they consider proven myopia management options to help slow myopia progression, according to a recent announcement.
- WATERLOO, Ontario—The Centre for Ocular Research & Education (CORE) has published issue number 57 of its free online education magazine, Contact Lens Update.
- SAN RAMON, Calif.—CooperCompanies (NYSE:COO) announced that A. Thomas Bender and Allan E. Rubenstein, MD, have decided to retire and will not stand for re-election at the annual meeting of stockholders in March 2021.