1-DAY ACUVUE TruEye vs DAILIES TOTAL1
A comparison of 1-DAY ACUVUE® TruEye® from Johnson and Johnson Vision Care and DAILIES TOTAL1 from Alcon Inc.: material, features, prescription and technical parameters, ratings, and cost.
DAILIES TOTAL1 and 1-DAY ACUVUE® TruEye® are daily replaceable contact lenses built with a silicone hydrogel material and a wetting agent. DAILIES TOTAL1 was introduced 5 years after 1-DAY ACUVUE® TruEye® and features a higher oxygen transmission value, a remarkable 156 Dk/t versus 118 Dk/t. The oxygen transmission value by itself is not a strong indicator of how your eyes might feel at the end of the day. We get a better picture when combining it with the water content parameter. The water content of DAILIES TOTAL1 is 33% while 1-DAY ACUVUE® TruEye® is approaching the 50% mark (46%). So it is this fine balance of water content and oxygen transmission that will impact a patient's wearing comfort. Some people prefer a more moist lens and some people react better to a lens with a high level of oxygen getting through the lens to their eyes. Therefore we cannot declare a winner in this category. This is different though when examining the UV blocking capabilities of the two lenses. 1-DAY ACUVUE® TruEye® comes with UVA and UVB blocking and is classified as a Class 1 UV blocking lens while DAILIES TOTAL1 doesn't offer any UV blocking. Available sphere powers are identical and TruEye is available in two different base curves providing more flexibility in the fitting process. The cost per day is very similar for both lenses when buying 90 lenses per box. There might be special rebates or loyalty programs available when buying a full year's supply so best to check with your eye care practitioner.
1-DAY ACUVUE® TruEye® and DAILIES TOTAL1 - Spec Sheets
1-DAY ACUVUE® TruEye®
|Manufacturer||Johnson & Johnson Vision Care, Inc.||Alcon Inc.|
|Release Date|| - September 2008: Initial product launch in the UK and Ireland.|
- April 2009: 1-DAY ACUVUE® TruEye® is now available in Germany.
- May 2009: Roll-out in Hong-Kong.
- July 2009: Roll-out in France, Denmark, and Sweden.
- August 2009: Roll-out in Poland, Czechia and Russia.
- April 2010: Roll-out in Canada.
- June 2010: Roll-out in the US.
|Wearing Details||Daily wear||Daily wear|
|Sphere Powers|| -12.00D to +6.00D|
(in 0.5 steps after -6.00D)
| -12.00D to -6.00D in 0.50 steps |
-6.00D to +6.00D in 0.25 steps
|Base Curves|| 8.5 mm|
|Diameters||14.2 mm||14.1 mm|
|Lens Material|| Silicone hydrogel|
| Silicone hydrogel |
|Wetting Agent|| Yes |
| Yes |
|% of Material||54%||67%|
|% of Water||46%||33%|
|Center Thickness||0.085 mm||0.09 mm|
|Oxygen Transmission||118 Dk/t||156 Dk/t|
|Modulus||0.66 MPa||0.7 MPa|
|Special Features|| HYDRACLEAR® Technology|
embedding the highest volume of moisture-rich wetting agent in the HYDRACLEAR® family
| - Surface optimization using an ultrasoft, hydrophilic surface gel |
- High water content (>80%) at the outermost surface
- SmarTears® Technology
|UV Blocking|| Class 1 |
|Dynamic Light Absorption||No||No|
|Visibility Tint|| Yes |
| Yes |
|Inside-out Mark|| Yes |
|Packaging, Pricing and Offers|
|Packaging Details|| 30 lenses per box or|
90 lenses per box
Each sterile lens is supplied in a foil-sealed plastic package containing buffered saline solution with methyl ether cellulose. The package is marked with important information such as base curve, diopter power, diameter, lot number and expiration date.
| 30 lenses per box or |
90 lenses per box
in buffered saline with polymeric wetting agents
|Price Range|| $33 - $45 (30 lenses)|
$75 - $95 (90 lenses)
| $38 - $45 (30 lenses) |
$80 - $100 (90 lenses)
|Cost per Day|| $1.10 - $1.50 (30 lenses)|
$0.83 - $1.05 (90 lenses)
| $1.26 - $1.50 (30 lenses) |
$0.89 - $1.11 (90 lenses)
| Online Retailers |
(U.S., Canada, U.K.)
Have your tried any of the two lenses? We would love to get your feedback.
More about this Product
- 1-DAY ACUVUE TruEye - Parameters and Specs
- 1-DAY ACUVUE TruEye - Reviews and Ratings
- 1-DAY ACUVUE TruEye - Rebate Info
- 1-DAY ACUVUE TruEye - Lens Caring Tips
- Where to buy 1-DAY ACUVUE TruEye
- How to handle your ACUVUE TruEye Lenses
- Additional 1-DAY ACUVUE TruEye Images
- 1-DAY ACUVUE TruEye receives Seal of Acceptance for UV Absorbing Contact Lenses
- Availability of 1-DAY ACUVUE TruEye by Country
- Availability of 1-DAY ACUVUE TruEye in US
- France to roll out 1-DAY ACUVUE TruEye
- FDA premarket notification for new silicone hydrogel lens
- Contact Lens Rebates 2020
- Lowest Price Finder - 1-DAY ACUVUE TruEye
Lens Advisor and Comparisons
- The Best Daily Contact Lenses in 2020
- 1-DAY ACUVUE TruEye vs 1-DAY ACUVUE MOIST
- Lens Advisor
- Daily Cost Comparison of Contact Lenses
- 1-DAY ACUVUE TruEye vs ACUVUE OASYS
- Daily Cost Comparison of Multifocal Lenses
- Daily Cost Comparison of Lenses for Astigmatism
- 1-DAY ACUVUE TruEye vs MyDay Daily Disposable
- 1-DAY ACUVUE TruEye vs SofLens Dailies